1) FIDE is still not sure if it's one or two knockout
2) 128 player knockout will not take place until 7 months from now. -
7/1/2004 - too long of a delay for the current cycle.
3) The winner of the knockout tournament will be the FIDE World
Champion and will not have to play Garry Kasparov until one year later (
July 2005). When you become a World Champion you like to enjoy your title
for a while. So I don't see the Kasparov match happening until July 2005.
FIDE is in no rush to unify. FIDE can't this be shortened ? Maybe
the FIDE Champ should play Kasparov within 3-6 months.
4) FIDE seems not to care about Kramnik vs. Leko match. You can't have
a World Championship match without Kramnik. You can't have a wait and see
attitude any longer.
5) Why such a long delay in finally unifying this title ?. We are now
talking about all most a 2.5- 3 year delay before we see the Brain Game
Champ play the FIDE Champ.
6) I know this is a long shot, because FIDE knockout process is a crap
shoot, but what happens if Ruslan Ponomoriov wins again ? Will he play
Garry Kasparov ? Can we afford to waste this much time. If the
FIDE knockout process gets a player rated 45 th in the world, will it be
worth the wait of 19 months?
7) When things don't go according to plan, you need to come up
with a quick solution. In 1975 when Bobby Fischer, the World Champion,
decided not to play, he was forfeited. Karpov was declared the new
champion. I accepted FIDE's decision. Why isn't Ponomoriov forfeited
and Kasparov declared the winner ?. I see no point in delaying the world
championship at least another 2.5 years. It has been three years already since
the last one. Why should we expect this to go according to plan ?
8) FIDE is being obtuse about the reunification process. They are in no
rush to complete it or to make it a meaningful event. Should they expect
the two best players in the world (Kasparov and Kramnik) to wait 2.5 - 3
more years before they play for the title ? Is FIDE concerned about the
millions of fans who are waiting for a championship match ? Doesn't FIDE
realize that a World Championship match gives chess a big boost and brings
lot of new fans into the game ?